- BFF Home
- About Us
- Life Truths
- RSS Feed
Bible Study Questions
John 5:19-20 Bible Study Questions on Christian Living by Understanding the Mind of Christ give us special insight how we are to go about ministering others from Jesus' example here. See the accompanying article.
18 For this cause therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God. 19 Jesus therefore answered and was saying to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner.
20 “For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing; and greater works than these will He show Him, that you may marvel. 21 “For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes. 22 “For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son,
23 in order that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
"The Son can do nothing of Himself" (John 5:19).
· Did Jesus believe that the Father had anything relevant to say about what He should do?
· How relevant is God to our lives? Do we need God? In what ways?
· How can we be more consciously dependent upon God the Father like Jesus was?
· How much time do we spend each day praying and reading God’s Word? If we do not commune with God, then we are not dependent upon Him. We do not believe it is important. We need to repent from our lack of desperation to be with God.
#2 Jesus learned from the Father. WATCH
"Unless it is something He sees the Father doing" (John 5:19).
· Did Jesus consider what the Father showed Him was important enough to make it a top priority? How do you know?
· Do you find it easy or difficult to make what God is doing a top priority? Why?
· Can you tell me how you see God working each day? (Hint: God is sovereign. He is in full control of all the affairs of life including who we meet each day including our moody boss. We see Him bringing people into our lives. We also see Him bringing us into difficult circumstances to strengthen our faith and expose our weaknesses.)
· When you pray for patience, a chance to evangelize or disciple, etc., do you pay close attention to how God might answer that prayer?Are you looking for the answer throughout the day? If we anticipate His answer, then we are watching the Father in faith. If we don’t, then we have little faith.
#3 Jesus did what the father wanted. COURAGE
"For whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner" (John 5:19).
· When Jesus sees the Father doing something, what does He do?
· Why is the difference between making a decision and carrying it out?
· How does God advise Joshua in Joshua 1:6-8?
· About what percentage of things do you not do, even though you know you should? What holds you back from carrying out God’s best?
#4 Jesus trusted the Father to show Him all that is needed.
"For the Father loves the Son and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing" (John 5:20).
· Is there anything the Son needed to see to get something done that was held back from Him?
· What word best describes the relationship between the Father and the Son? Does this describe your relationship with your father?
· When we trust God, we then can trust Him to control circumstances and give us grace to handle every difficulty that comes our way. Do you find that you avoid certain things, people or situations? Is it possible that you don’t trust God for these areas?
· Do you avoid serving in different ministries because of different personal fears? God says He will give you grace for everything He calls you to. What steps do you think you can take to trust Him for those needs so you can serve Him as He has been urging you?
#5 Jesus does greater works so that the Father is honored.
"And greater works than these will He show Him, that you may marvel" (John 5:20).
· Why did God do great works through Jesus?
· Why is that so important?
· What further two purposes are given in John 5:23?
· How does pride in our accomplishments prevent us from seeing God’s great works?
· What great things does God want to do through your life to bring honor to His Name?
· If time allows, discuss the greater works that God wants to do through your lives (see John 14:12).
Other questions that you might like to discuss.
We have a video on John 5:1-24 but it is part of our NT Biblical Library library package. This Library has an incredible amount of training materials in pdf and powerpoint format ready to print out and share. We even have videos and mp3s! We allow you to copy. modify and distribute material for teaching or personal edification.
The Christian believer must learn to follow Christ in the way he minister to others. We learn five ways to imitate Christ's ministry from John 5:19-20.