1) What are the three main tests around which the Book of 1 John is designed? How do they differ from each other?
2) Where does the main body of 1 John end? How many postscripts does John include at the end of his epistle (letter)?
3) Why are postscripts important?
4) Look carefully at 1 John 5:14, “And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.” (1 John 5:14, NASB). What word does the verse begin with? (The NIV does not have this word because it does not carefully trace the original Greek text like the NASB). What does the use of this word show?
5) The context of verse 5:13 then becomes important. What does 1 John 5:13 say? How does this thought found here connect to 5:14? Or put in other words, how does our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ affect our ability to pray? Share about non-Christians that you know of that pray. Are their prayers really ineffective?
6) What does Isaiah 59:2 say about the effectiveness of prayer? What about James 4:3?