17. What was the response of the Israelites to what the Lord said in verse 3?
18. Is that the right response? Why or why not? Please explain.
19. Read Joshua 7:4-10. What was the response of Joshua in that situation? Was it the right response? How do you know? Why did God reject their signs of grief? (We know the Israelites didn’t repent because it doesn’t state that they did. If they did, God would have blessed them and recorded this. Instead, in the succeeding paragraphs outlines how the people of God left God after the time of the elders that new Joshua).
20. God was not pleased with their response. What is it that God really wanted? Why is it that sometimes we use religious ceremony instead of repentance? Earlier we paused and thought through something the Lord wanted from our lives. Will you actually change your life or just feel good because you thought about doing the right thing?
21. Take a look at the diagram on the right and explain where Judges 2:1-5 fits into the cycle of decline and renewal.
22. What do you think about the statement, “If we do not actively pursue God’s ways, then we will just follow the course of the world.” How is it true in your life? Share two ways that you are (or will) actively pursue the Lord’s ways.